Information for

international students

Information for

international students

alfa27 | Adobe Stock
alfa27 | Adobe Stock

The Studying with Disability Information and Advice Centre provides comprehensive information about studying with disabilities in Germany.


Students with impairments

Students with disabilities and chronic illnesses must clarify additional important questions in the preparation for their studies in Germany.

  • Does the university have an accessible design?
  • How do I get the necessary assistance, technical aids or a barrier-free room?
  • How do disadvantage compensations work in studies and exams?
  • How do I finance my living expenses and additional costs related to my disability?
  • What do I have to pay attention to in terms of health insurance?
  • Where can I get advice and support?

German universities are committed to the goals of equality, anti-discrimination and inclusion. Since the adoption of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, structural, didactic or organizational barriers have been removed at many universities. Nevertheless, most students with disabilities and chronic illness remain dependent on additional supports and individual adaptations in their studies.

For students with disabilities and chronic illnesses, it is important to clarify questions regarding the needs-based design of university offerings, the organization of everyday life, the choice of health insurance and the financing of studies, including additional costs due to impairments, before taking up studies. This is especially true for international students, because study scholarships usually do not cover the additional disability-related costs and claims to many social benefits are limited.


  • Further information on social security rights claims for international students from third countries with disabilities and chronic illnesses can be found here (the English version of the text can be found below).
  • Further information on the question "Which social security rights claims do students with disabilities and chronic illnesses have who come from EU States, the EEA and Switzerland?" can be found here (the English version of the text can be found below).



Usually, there is no central point of contact for students with disabilities to organize support and clarify other questions. Therefore, pre-study counseling is especially important for students with impairments and chronic illnesses. It is recommended to get in touch with the advisory service centers when you are preparing for your studies.

Advisors for the interests of students with disabilities and chronic illnesses at the universities
Almost all German universities and many Studierendenwerke have advisors and representatives for students with disabilities and chronic illnesses. They provide information on all university-related issues, e.g. on compensation for disadvantages in study and examination regulations and on barrier-free access to university buildings.

Contact for students with disabilities

Social advisors of the Studierendenwerke
The social counseling offices of the Studierendenwerke provide advice on financing issues, social benefits, health insurance and jobs. They can assist students in obtaining an accessible dorm room.

Contact persons for social welfare advice