Only after the enrolment or matriculation, you are allowed to participate as a student in lectures and to take exams.
Find out exactly when the deadline of enrolment will be and which documents will be necessary. They may vary from university to university.
At the very least you will need:
- notification of admission
- proof of lawful health insurance in Germany
- your passport with visa/ note of residence
- receipt of your payment to the Student Organisation
- a passport photograph
- possibly original certificates
After enrolment, you will receive confirmation of matriculation and a student ID card. This often gets you reduced prices – for the cinema, sport, or museums.