Deutsches Studentenwerk

Who sponsors students?

Unlike other countries German universities do not give grants. The most important grant donor for international students is the Deutsche Akademische Austauschdienst (DAAD) (German Academic Exchange Service). Especially advanced students or graduates can apply for a grant. In many countries the DAAD is represented by a satellite office or by teachers at the universities in the faculty of German Language and Literature/German as a Foreign Language. Here, while still at home, you can find out about the possibilities of receiving a grant.

Other important points of contact for student funding are the foundations and organisations sponsoring talented students. They, too, offer grants for international students. The conditions differ from one institution to another and have to be asked for from them directly. It might be rather painstaking, but can be worth it!

Students who arrive on an exchange programme are often able to apply for financial support from their home university.

Further information / helpful links

  • The DAAD offers information on the subject of student funding. Take a look at the scholarship database.
  • Information on organisations sponsoring talented students
  • Postgraduate students can find details on the online offers of the German mobility centre
  • Service point for electronic research funding information