Deutsches Studentenwerk

State funding for students: BAföG and student loans

The BAföG, which is state funding for students, is only awarded to international students in exceptional cases. You can get information from the BAföG advisory service at your Studentenwerk. In the state of the Rhineland-Palatinate the universities provide information.

International students can claim the BAföG if:

  • one parent has German citizenship
  • they have or have had a German spouse
  • they are a legitimate asylum seeker, stateless or a refugee
  • one parent was legally employed in Germany for three years within six years before the beginning of studies, or
  • they were legally employed in Germany for five years before the beginning of studies

Other requirements described in the terms and conditions of the BAföG must also be fulfilled.

Student loans

The student loan is a low interest loan from the state for the purpose of supporting students and pupils during advanced education. It is granted for a maximum of 24 months and amounts to 300 Euro per month. Repayment begins four years after the first payment of the loan.

However, student loans are only limitedly available to international students. The conditions are the same as for the BAföG.

More on the internet