Deutsches Studentenwerk

What if I'm over 30?

After your 30th birthday you can no longer get public health insurance at the favourable student rate. However, some public health insurance funds do offer tariffs for graduates which grant cheaper rate health insurance for one extra term. You can also take out voluntary health insurance with one of the public health funds.

Private health insurance is the other option. This applies particularly to students who are already 30 when they begin studying in Germany.

The Deutsche Studentenwerk has made a general agreement with the UNION Versicherungsdienst GmbH and Advigon Versicherung AG for students who cannot get insurance with a public health fund.


Tariff overview
  Vela Optimal Vela Basic
1.-12. Months 78,00 EUR 34,50 EUR
13.-60. Months 78,00 EUR 60,00 EUR


If you are staying for a longer period, the "VELA optimal" tariff is recommended. This offers comprehensive health insurance including vaccinations and preventive medical checkups. The tariff "VELA basic" offers only limited services and is more suitable for exchange students who are only staying one or two terms in Germany. It is especially good value for money in the first twelve months; however as of the 13th month the contributions for the basic tariff increase.

Please note:

The tariff "VELA Light" listed on the Vela website is not part of the general agreement of the Deutsche Studentenwerk with UNION Versicherungsdienst GmbH. Hence, we would like to point out that we do not recommend this tariff.

More information from your Studentenwerk or directly from:

VELA - a brand of UNION Versicherungsdienst GmbH

Ecclesiastr. 1-4

D- 32758 Detmold

Customer service: 0800 603-6039 (Germany)
Customer service: +49 5231 603-6390 (international)

Click here for the website