Deutsches Studentenwerk

Don't forget to enrol at the university!

The actual enrolment or matriculation at university occurs after your arrival at your place of study. You must arrive in Germany in good time for the beginning of term; you can no longer enrol after the enrolment deadline has passed.

Find out exactly when the enrolment deadlines are! They vary from university to university. Make sure you ask what documents you need for enrolment.

At the very least you will need:

  • proof of lawful health insurance in Germany
  • notification of admission
  • receipt of your payment to the Student Organisation
  • a passport photograph
  • your passport with visa / note of residence
  • possibly original certificates

After enrolment you will receive confirmation of matriculation and a student ID card. This often gets you reduced prices - for the cinema, sport, newspaper subscriptions and such like.