Deutsches Studentenwerk

Returning home

You should plan your return home just as carefully as you planned your stay in Germany! Take a look at the job market at home in advance! The Employment Agency can help you here since they also act as an agent for job vacancies in Europe.

Students from developing countries can sometimes claim repatriation grants. These differ widely: there are grants for setting up a business, transport subsidies, time limited financial support and the like.

If you have paid your pension insurance contributions in Germany and there is no social security agreement between Germany and your homeland then, if necessary, you can have the contributions paid out. If there is an agreement you can assert the claim later on. Find out about this before you leave!

Before you return to your homeland you should do the following:

  • Deregister at your place of residence
  • Deregister from the students' register
  • Cancel health care and telephone contract.
  • Close your bank account
  • Contact the pension insurance fund

Please note! When you deregister from students' register (Exmatrikulation) your recidence permit expires. For more information, contact the Aliens Departement at your place of recidence.

Information on the internet